New wine list arrives for winter!!!!
Our new wine list has just ‘gone live’ but the work towards this list took place last month……
Here at the Bulls Head on Tuesday 15th November 2011 we held our very first ‘winter red’ wine tasting evening. We were joined by local wine enthusiasts/customers and some of our team in search of great reds for our winter wine list. The evening was hosted by our favourite wine merchant Ed Cross from Boutinot!!
Ed spent 3 years making wine in France, New Zealand & Australia but remarkably came home to England because he “preferred the nightlife of Manchester”!!!
Ed guided us through the evening, drawing on his experiences to prepare us for the hard work of choosing our new reds. Firstly we had a brief chat on how wine is made, followed by how to Taste Wine – Ed says it’s like having a cup of tea!!! Apparently it’s all about the smell, the sight and the taste. Then we matched food with the wine.
We selected five different ‘Bulls head to Ed’ taste offs!!
- A Pouring Rioja or a Pouring Cabernet? – We’ve been asked for both, but our tasters got to choose the winner!! Both were served with our little sausages from the Cheshire smokehouse. The Cabernet Sauvignon won hands down and is now on our list by the glass and the bottle!!
- Barolo ‘lookalike’ v a Medoc ‘lookalike’ – Nebbiolo d’Alba, Poderi Colla v Tabali Cabernet Reserva served with a tiny Pigeon stew. The Tabali won easily with great blackcurrant flavour and a deep finish, a truly great wine which stays on the list!!
- A Mallorcan Double Bill – Is Macia Batle’s Reserva better than its Crianza? Each were served with a good mouthful of our famous steak and ale pie. The Reserva Privado won this one and many selected this as the best wine of the night!! Certainly one of the best wines from the shores of Mallorca!!
- Poor man’s Amarone or the Real Thing? – Ripasso v Amarone from the same producer was served with 28 day aged Sirloin steak. While the unbelievable Amorone won this challenge, it was decided that the Ripasso should stay too. The Amorone was the overall winner at the tasting….a stunner!!
- P is for Dessert wine – PX from Spain or Pink Port a new release from our friends at Wiese & Krohn, served with our popular cheese board and a custard dessert. Both the chilled pink port and the PX are now featured on our dessert wines section….the pink port is certainly one for the girls!!
- Also good news for our wine loving customers is that we have moved our Reserva Pinot Noir to a wine served by the glass as well as the bottle!!
The list also shows a half bottle of Champagne which again is a request from several customers and now we have a ‘Reserve’ Red wine section on the list for three Reds which are simply ‘top dollar’ but memorable.
We have also reduced our fizz with our Kiki Sparkling Sauvignon Blanc now only £22 a bottle and the Pink Lallier Champagne down to £35 a bottle….ready for the celebratory season. To view the new wine list click on ‘drinks’ then ‘wine’.
Thanks to all our customers who took part in the tasting.
If there are any customers who are interested in wine tasting here at the Bulls Head email and let us know then we can include you in the ‘Spring whites and Pinks tastings email invitation’!!